Sunday 20 April 2008

Ikea (22)

Life's been quiet the last couple of days. I've been very tired and needed to rest a lot so I haven't been out of the house much. We went to Ikea on Friday to buy a mattress for Number One Son, and I fully intended to buy some of their storage boxes, but DH and No 1 son so hate going there that we were in and out again in about ten minutes! No hanging about or time to browse. Now, No 2 son and I would be happy to just wander around and browse - at least when it's not too crowded. I well remember our first visit to Ikea - just before Christmas fourteen years ago. No 1 son was suffering badly from ME and was using a wheel chair to get around, but was keen to come along. By the time we got there though he was tired and extremely grumpy. And it was very, very crowded. No 1 son decided he would get round the place as quickly as possible and just set off in his wheelchair. We could track his progress by the people jumping out of his way and the squeals as he ploughed into them! He was nowhere to be seen when we finished and we had to broadcast on the tannoy system to find him! I think that's what put him and DH off Ikea. Ah well, at least I've saved some money. 


I have managed to get some sewing done though. I've finished the cushion for mother-in-law's birthday next week. The top is quilted with hand embroidery and seed beads; she loves owls, so I've tucked one into the corner. It's become a bit of a tradition, making cushions for her. I first made one soon after I met her, and have replaced them every few years as they start to wear out and fade.


I've also managed to do the first two embroidered blocks from Lynette Anderson's free Noah's Ark BOM. I'll leave the log cabin patchwork borders until they're all done I think, so that I can be sure of
 getting the colours right. They are really cute and will make a lovely wallhanging. I'm starting to
 really enjoy combining embroidery and patchwork. I'm always a bit impatient and keen to start something new, so small projects like this have a high interest value.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Aren't the Noah's Art blocks fun to do? I agree with you about small projects.

Debbi said...

Those little embroideries are too cute! You're tempting me to start something new! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I haven't been around the ring for a bit...like you say it becomes time consuming. I started using bloglines for feeds of blogs I like to read and it helps because I don't have to go and look if there has been a new post. I'm not very savy at this blog thing yet, but I'm learning. I love learning abit about others lives as well as their quilting.

Susan said...

Here you have finished two stitcheries and I haven't even printed the second one. The look lovely.

Gretchen said...

Very cute stitcheries. I am doing (well not really since I haven't started but am going to start soon LOL!)a Block of the Month stitchery at my local quilt shop called "Ring in the New" by Kathy Schmitz. I think I need to check out this one though too...