Thursday 1 January 2009

Backwards and Forwards (156)

From December 2008
Happy New Year to you all. I vaguely saw the new year in - I'd given up trying to stay awake by about 11 o'clock, but the bongs of Big Ben woke me at midnight, then Christopher came in with a ginger wine (just a sip for me, I seem to be allergic to alcohol sadly) to wish each other a good 2009.

So, looking back to 2008, what are my main memories?

  • Lots of quilting, yay. I've made quillows, lap quilts, single and double size quilts; quilts to use and quilts for decoration
  • Lots of stitching. Stitching to combine with patchwork, stitching that stands alone
  • I've made all of our cards, not bought a single one
  • Seeing the boys becoming more settled into their chosen ways of life 
  • Having more time to spend with Christopher now that I'm retired and he works just three days a week
  • The sad tale of our house move. Sorting the house, the excitement at the beginning of the process, the disillusionment as the falling market caused problems, the pleasure at achieving a sale, the huge excitement when we found THE house, the disappointment as it all came to an end
  • My health. Having had a pretty rotten year, the last few weeks have seen a steady improvement to the point where I feel pretty good most of the time
  • Discovering blogging 
And looking forward? Well, I don't do resolutions, 'cos they're easy to break. But I will continue toward the goals that I have set myself over the last couple of months.

  • Continuing to eat healthily and sticking to the diet that seems to work for me
  • Now that I'm feeling better it's time to get fitter - back to the exercise classes and get out for more walks with Christopher
  • Finding some patterns that I like, and that work for me, and making some new clothes
  • Getting through the current to-do list of quilting and sewing before starting any new projects. No UFOs for me!!

And plans? Well, it's time we stopped putting our life on hold whilst we tried to sell the house and time to do some of the things we've been talking about

  • Decorate the little bedroom and get it sorted out so that I can use it as a craft/sewing room; decorate some of the other rooms; 
  • Buy a motor caravan and take some holidays
  • Get a dog
  • Christopher needs to get out of the job he's doing, because it's far too stressful and find something else to do that he can really enjoy
And vaguer thoughts? Well, I've plenty of those, things I'd like to do, things I ought to do. But most of all I hope that my sons continue to find happiness, health and stability in their lives and that Christopher and I can continue to enjoy each other's company as we head into our 30th year of marriage.

And to all my blogging friends - thank you so much for enriching my life over this last year, and for showing interest in my very ordinary doings. I look forward so much to a great 2009 and hope that you do too.

9 comments:

Lynn said...

A motor caravan and a dog! It sounds like an exciting year coming up. And no ufo's - I wonder how many of us quilters are resolving to finish up their ufo this new year? Thank you for your blogging friendship this past year and very happy new year to you today.

Amelia said...

Loved the blog...your dreams can be accomplished.

So wonderful you are feeling better - thus you will be able to start the new dream projects and best part complete them.

Happy New Year 2009

scraphappy said...

The beginning of a new year is a great time to ponder. It sounds like you have put some thought into your goals and plans. Those do seem so much more achievable than resolutions, don't they?

Di said...

And a very Happy New Year to you too, Amanda! I'm very pleased to have discovered your lovely blog recently. Did you see our Sydney Harbour Bridge New Year fireworks on the TV? We celebrated the new year having dinner with friends on a balmy summer night. All the best, Di

Gretchen said...

Great retrospective on the past year and wonderful hopeful thoughts for the new year. I wish you all the best!

Amy said...

Oh Amanda----what is probably "no big deal to you" is awe-inspiring for myself (AND my DH!)

I shared your opening sentence with my DH when you were saying you tried to stay awake but succumbed at 11:00. However, that you were wakened by "BIG BEN!" My husband had one single comment: "I wonder what it sounds like."

You see, for US lowly Americans who have never been to England, Big Ben is to us as what the Statue of Liberty might be for you! It's an attraction that we dream to see-----maybe someday!

These past few months have been wonderful----I can't even recall when it was when we came across each other's blogs.....

Happy New Year!

Brenda said...

Happy New Year! Sounds as if you are mentally prepared for working on your goals. That is the most important part, it makes the steps easier. I wish you the best.

Tanya said...

Now that is interesting... "Get a dog." Dogs (and cats) seem to just come to us. I've never thought about getting one. I do think though that an animal can be the best thing for physical health and mental health too. It will be fun to see what you choose.

SueR said...

And you have enriched us as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and dreams with us. Happy New Year, Amanda.