Friday 27 May 2011

Up the Garden Path

We recently took the decision to have proper paths built in our vegetable patch. When we moved here the vegetable plot was one large piece of land, and at the end of the first year the soil had been well trampled and proved extremely difficult for Christopher to dig. At the beginning of last year I divided the patch into four and subdivided the three largest of these pieces. This meant that I could rotate crops, and rarely needed to stand on the soil. This worked brilliantly and the earth needed hardly any digging over this year. So, having proved that I'd got it right, we got a local builder to make proper paths.

I'm absolutely delighted with the results, they make the vegetable garden look brilliant. I don't care for straight lines in flower gardening but there's something so satisfying about a vegetable patch full of straight lines of vegetables.





6 comments:

Amelia said...

Your garden looks like everything is growing quite nicely. The soil looks so rich and black. Here in middle part of Oklahoma our soil is real red and contains lots of clay. The gardens can get dry like a brick if the soil has not been tilled and watered sufficiently. What all do you have planted?

Lynn said...

Wow! That is a real garden! What a smart idea putting in these paths, what do you have growing? Whatever it is it looks well on it's way. Thinking about your past posts, I feel like your move to your new home and village has really brought so much happiness.

Simone de Klerk said...

How happy you must feel to have made those paths. What a lovely place to grow your vegetables!
Enjoy your weekend!

Kay said...

This is too too wonderful, Amanda. Your shoes don't have to get muddy. You can reach everything. AND it looks fabulous. How perfect is that! I would love to have a garden like that. However, our house has very little area for a garden.

Amy said...

Those beat any "Home and Garden" magazine pictures anyday! I don't know how I missed this post, but....I am envious of the beauty of your garden.

Heckety said...

Oh magic! There's nothing as satisfying as an orderly, flourishing veg garden, much as I love flowers and shrubs. Can you feel the 'green with envy' vibes wafting your way????!!!!
It looks great and will be so much quicker and easier to work in the spring and autumn I should think?