Sunday 30 January 2011

Scraps and Stash


(these aren't my pictures, they came from the internet)


Celia, of Quilting by Celia, asked me a very interesting question recently. What do I consider to be scraps and what do I consider to be stash?

Well, for me, stash is anything that can be sensibly folded and put on the shelf, probably nothing smaller than a fat eighth or a four inch WOF strip. Anything else is scraps, and gets cut into sizes to go into my scrap boxes. I have one and a half inch; two inch; two and a half inch; three inch; three and a half inch; and four inch boxes. Anything smaller than one and a half inches goes into the waste paper basket.


How about you?

7 comments:

Amelia said...

My scraps that can be folded are folded and put with other pieces that match...small pieces are just put in a box for later use.

Clare said...

Anything that can get a 1/4 inch seam on 2 or 3 sides is saved. You should see my scrap bin!

Mad about Craft said...

As I haven't been quilting that long I didn't have many scraps but I'm beginning to build them up now. Smaller scraps I'm cutting to 2 & half" as I have a huge fondness for 9 patch blocks. Other sizes I may cut but haven't decided yet are 5", 1 & half" and 2 & half" strips

Quilting By Celia said...

Hi Amanda, let me confuse the issue a bit, to me if a scrap is cut into squares then it sounds a bit that they are ready to be used in a project... so are they really scraps ?

Liz said...

I'm pretty much the same as you except I keep the 1.5 inch as well!!!
Can't bear to waste any little bit.

Kay said...

I guess I only have stash now. I got rid of all my scraps when we moved to Hawaii. Now I regret it! Doggone it!

Lynn said...

I used to think the same thing, but have you seen ticker tape quilts (here's a link to a flickr site devoted to them http://www.flickr.com/groups/1347527@N21/) Tiny pieces needed for these, sewed down using raw edge applique, there's no size that's too small. Bad for my organization, good for frugality!