We woke to heavy snow, which hadn't been forecast, so was a great surprise. But Ruby and my younger son, who was staying with us for the weekend, were delighted. Alexander is 28 now, but still gets as excited by snow as he did when he was 8.
Shortly before nine o'clock there was a sudden power surge, and all the lights flared brightly. Then a few seconds later we started to hear pops and bangs around the house and various televisions and other things went bang, with sparks and smoke. It turned out that a power cable had come down and the power company advised us that we should turn off the mains fuse.
We breakfasted on bread and butter and marmalade, instead of the cooked breakfast I had planned. Luckily we were able to boil the kettle up in our camper van and have hot drinks.
We soon discovered that it was a live cable that had fallen. We realised that it was live because one end was in a puddle and a friend and her dog walked past, the dog went into the puddle and jumped a foot in the air! Luckily the dog was unharmed, though rather surprised ( I nearly wrote 'shocked' there, but that seemed to be a rather bad pun!). After hearing this the power company vehicles soon arrived. Apparently the freak snow storm had caused chaos in the area and many problems with electricity supplies.
Fortunately, we had booked a table for lunch in a nearby restaurant, so didn't have to have more bread and butter for lunch.
The power wasn't put back on until about half past four, but when we started switching things on we still had major problems, so had to cut the electricity again until the problems were sorted out. We finally had power again at about six o'clock, so didn't have to resort to candles for long.
But the damage the power surge caused was amazing. We've lost two televisions, two DAB radios, the microwave, Christopher's beloved coffee machine as well as countless cables and light bulbs. The loss adjuster is coming today to see the list.
So, a very dramatic Sunday.