I've signed up to the Craftsy class on Modern Quilting, and the first class was on random squares. I decided to just make a small sample of this one, using squares that finished at two and a half inches. It's a quite useless size, but it hangs quite happily in my sewing room and I'm quite pleased with the way it looks, especially the sewing themed fabric.
I haven't signed up to much in the way of BOMs this year as I have so much to do with my City and Guilds class, but I am doing the Sugar Club BOM, just to keep my hand in with some traditional piecing and to try and improve my accuracy. This is the first block that I made.
When I had finished quilting the sashing the stitched blocks were all baggy. So I stipple quilted around all the stitching and then outline stitched the designs. That looked a bit better, but then the stitching parts were all baggy, so I cut the backing fabric and wadding at the back of each design and added some extra wadding. Hey presto, trapunto!
But then of course I had to fix the cuts in the fabric, so I used some of the iron on tape used for sticking bits of wadding together. Then, because it looked a bit of a mess on the back, I added a further backing.
And then, to cap it all, when I looked at it after it was finished I realised that I'd stitched two blocks in upside down! Well, they're going to have to stay that way, and perhaps no-one else will notice!