Monday, 25 May 2009

Sorry, no photographs and apologies

We've just got back from an exhausting weekend. On Friday we drove to Brighton to see Number Two Son - it took us about four-and-a-half hours. It was lovely to see him in his new house, and he did a barbecue lunch on his roof terrace. He'd invited some friends along too, and it was great to be able to put names to faces. All too soon we had to leave and drive up to Redhill, near where we used to live in Reigate, where we were staying with friends. Dinner was quite late, and I went to bed soon after that.

On Saturday Christopher went for a run with our host, and I went shopping for food for a picnic lunch. Amazingly, I also managed to buy some clothes - I must be the perfect Marks and Spencer size 10 at the moment as the first blouse I tried fitted and looked good, ditto the first pair of trousers I tried and ditto the first bra. So I bought the lot. I'm such an impatient shopper that if the first things don't fit or look good I usually give up.

Then we drove up to my father-in-law's house for lunch, and Number One Son met us there. After lunch we went to a nearby church, where the nursing home that had been my mother-in-law's last home were holding a memorial service for all their residents who had died over the previous two years. There we met with Christopher's sister and her husband, and his brother with his wife and one of his daughters. It was lovely to have a bit of a family get together.

Again, all too soon, it was time to leave, having seen far too little of Number One Son. That evening was thankfully a quiet one. Our hosts were going out for dinner to celebrate their wedding anniversary, so Christopher cooked some supper for us - I was far to tired to do anything but collapse on the sofa, and afterwards I was in bed by about nine o'clock.

On Sunday Christopher went running and I managed to have a quiet few hours before meeting him at the club and catching up with old friends. Then we drove to visit an aunt who had sadly lost her daughter very suddenly a couple of weeks ago. And finally we came home, arriving at about seven o'clock last night. The weather had been glorious, but that meant that many of our plants were wilting, so I went round with the watering can whilst Christopher unloaded the car. Then it was time for supper and bed.

Oh, how lovely it was to sleep in my own bed again. I always sleep so badly in strange beds. It's now half-past-ten, and I'm still in bed reading all the blogs I've missed and writing this.

And now the apologies - firstly I haven't been commenting much lately, but I have been enjoying reading all you've had to say. Secondly, I haven't been replying to all your lovely comments either. It's so kind of people to comment on what I write and it is only good manners to reply, but I've been a bit down recently and just haven't. Thank you anyway and please don't stop, I so enjoy reading them.


Amelia said...

Wow! what a whirlwind trip you two were on the past few days. I bet your body, soul, and mind was ready to be back home. How exciting to try on clothes and they fit with the first time you try them few times does that happen. To wear a size 10 - my bones are bigger than than - let alone add all the meat to them. You should be pleased with your size. Are you going to wear them for a picture to be posted?

Here is hoping you get to feeling all chipper again...ready to post, comment, talk and carry on with us.


Kay said...

I'm sorry you've been down Amanda. It does sound like you've had a nice visit though. I love it that you found things that fit at the store. I'm exactly like you. I hate going shopping and not finding things in my size.

Gretchen said...

Sounds like you had a very busy time but it must have been nice to visit with family and friends :) Sorry you have been feeling down, once you are rested, I hope you'll feel better.

Rhonda said... had a lot of people to see.....but it seemed like you and hubby had a plan and it worked out. Good for you. Take care.

Anita said...

Sorry you have been feeling down. Hope things start looking up and more cheerful for you soon. We are in Idaho enjoying the sunshine and warm weather, but will be heading back to WA all to soon. Take care.

scraphappy said...

Goodness, it sounds as if you had quite a bit of traveling. I can imagine how exhausting all of that must have been. Still, it is nice that you were able to get around to see so many friends and family all on one trip.

Sit A Spell said...

Hi...I've enjoyed my first visit here. I understand the feeling a bit down...I've had my days of late. Lots going on in my life with huge decisions to make...quite heavy. Spring time finally getting here in Michigan really helps. I worked in my back garden this weekend which puts a smile on my face.

I hope you have a great week!

Sheryl said...

Wow Amanda no wonder your feeling a bit low, I'm feeling tired just reading about where you have been and what you have been doing, you take it easy.... I know a good pick-me-up... a fresh cuppa and sit and sew something you love... hmm sounds like a good idea for me

Jo, a retired teacher said...

You seem to have had some full days--happiness and sorrow. Whatever and whenever you post is okay with me. I'll just keep checking. Take care of yourself.

Becky said...

Your trip sounded like a nice blend of family, friends, and successful shopping. We too find that when we travel to visit family that it's never enough time, but often too much time away from home. Hope that you have rest and rebounded. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Yes it sounds like you had a full weekend,I too feel a bit down again at the moment and don't know why, have no reason.

Anyway hope you are on top of the world again soon.


SueR said...

Sorry you've been feeling down, Amanda, but I imagine your family visit helped--even if it left you exhausted. Sometimes coming home is the best part of the trip.