Thursday, 20 January 2011

Some finishes (82)

I'm not going to complain, really I'm not, because it's a glorious day. Temperature just above freezing, but clear blue skies and sunshine. After the gloom of the last ten days or so it's wonderful to look at some sunshine and to be able to walk in the crisp fresh air. BUT, I think I need some lessons in photography. Ive been waiting for a brighter day to take these finishes outside to photograph them, and the sun was so bright that it's washed parts of them out completely. I shall have to have another go with a little drawstring bag I made to go in our camper van to hold one of the games, Rummikub. But here they are anyway.

















This was the pattern from Hugs from Helen; it was designed as a round robin to be shared with friends, but I left it too late to get organised so made it for myself and just changed the verse to read The flowers that bloom in the spring, Tra La!






















This was  BOM from Quiltecke and I shall certainly try to get a better photograph of this as the little embroideries are rather sweet.

















I made this using the last of my blue scraps for So Scrappy's Rainbow challenge. Having just bought Tonya Ricucci's new book Word Play Quilts, I decided to have a go at some letters for the outer border. I learnt a lot! For one thing, take more notice of contrast in the fabrics; some of the letters aren't too clear.



















I quilted it with a wave and boat pattern from Mindful Meanderings, a book that I won in So Scrappy's give-away last year.

Does anyone know of a good, free, site that gives tips on taking good photographs?


14 comments:

Amelia said...

Pretty finished items.

I also could use some photography tips...but perhaps I need a better camera too.

Ice here with snow on top...certainly a day to stay inside where it is warm. The temps are in the teens and the wind is gusting terribly.

jabblog said...

Lovely quilts! I particularly like the first one. I think your thumb must be quite well again, now ;-)

Wendy said...

wow some great finishes there! My favourite is the top quilt. Can't help on the photography I'm afraid, my pictures are appalling!

Heckety said...

Wow! You've been busy! They look lovely, but its hard to get the light right- I think its the level of the sun at this time of year is the problem...perhaps you could do something to tilt the south of England a bit?

As to advice, have you looked in the Etsy site Sellers Handbook? They've a lot of helpful stuff on photography which I have used.

http://www.etsy.com/storque/seller-handbook/etsys-guide-to-photography-10979/

to start you, but there are several good articles.

Tonya Ricucci said...

congrats on the finishes.

excellent photo tips:
http://www.hollyknott.com/stq/index.htm

scraphappy said...

I'm always jealous of the fabulous looking photos I see on other people's blogs. If you pick up some good tips, please let us know.
I know your unfinished projects were bothering you, it's so nice that you were able to get them all done. Your free motion quilting is looking great these days. Such cute little boats and waves.

Kay said...

Oh wow! Lovely, Amanda! I especially love that second one. I think it's the colors that grab me. :-)

preethobby said...

Amanda, All the three quilts are lovely!!, The first and the second are the best.

Angelcat said...

They all look wonderful

Jude said...

You have been busy and I would like to see closeups of the stitcheries as they are my favourites.

Lynn said...

It seems like many of us have the same photography problems. 0ne thing I find is to make sure I turn my flash off, in some instances that helps. I suspect that some of these wonderful pictures we see are edited and cropped on our computer. One person I know of has the most amazing photos and I asked about the camera and it is really expensive, so that may come into play also.
You've been a busy. The blue quilt turned out well. Interesting what you said about contrast. I love the hexagons and also the red binding. Wonderful machine quilting!

Candace said...

Wow, you've been busy and it shows. What great quilts and all so different. I haven't really tried any of the tips but I mean to, lol. Here is a good photography blog:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/
She has photo contests, but also gives photography and photoshop tips.

Diana / QF Quiltbuffy said...

Hello Amanda,
so nice finished Quilts. Thanks for stitching my flowers BoM.

Simone de Klerk said...

Beautiful quilts, Amanda. I guess you are a blue fan (o: